Special arts edition of Prison Service Journal
The latest issue of the HM Prison Service’s peer review journal is a special edition that focuses on The Arts in Prison.
Edited by Dr Michael Fiddler and National Criminal Justice Arts Alliance steering group member Alli Black, the 239th edition of the Prison Service Journal contains 10 articles and evaluations that show “a partial snapshot of the vital and important work being done in the arts both within and outside prisons” and highlight the power of this work to transform the lives of those involved.
- Editorial comment, Dr Michael Fiddler and Alli Black
- Unlocking talent at HMP Leicester, Kate Herrity, Simon Bland, Ralph Lubkowski and Phil Novis
- The Bigger Picture: Digital Storytelling, Creativity and Resilience in Prisons, Dr Victoria Anderson
- Scratching the Surface: A service evaluation of an applied theatre intervention for female offenders, Dr Zoe Stephenson and Andy Watson MBE
- Performing Punishment, Transporting Audiences: Clean Break Theatre Company’s Sweatbox, Dr Aylwyn Walsh
- Performance Matters: The Case for Including Performance in Prison Music Projects, Sarah Doxat-Pratt
- Music, education, and opportunity, Katy Haigh and Laura Caulfield
- Music and identity in prison: Music as a technology of the self, Kate Herrity
- In Place of Hate, Yvonne Jewkes
- Edmund Clark’s Artistic Residency at HMP Grendon: Exploring the impact upon residents, Elizabeth Yardley and Dan Rusu
- Interview with Edmund Clark, Edmund Clark and Michael Fiddler
The Journal is distributed to every Prison Service establishment in England and Wales. Individual members of staff need not subscribe and can obtain free copies from their establishment.
Subscriptions for hard copies are invited from other individuals and bodies outside the Prison Service for a fee (£7 for a single copy). Orders should be sent with a cheque made payable to ‘HM Prison Service’ to Prison Service Journal, c/o Print Shop Manager, HMP Leyhill, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, GL12 8BT or enquiries made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Image courtesy of Prison Service Journal